Tuesday 21 January 2014

The Year in Books: Never Somewhere Else - Alex Gray

Linking up with the lovely bloggers participating in a Year in Books at Circle of Pines.

This was the first Alex Gray I've read. It is a crime/police procedural novel set in Glasgow featuring a DCI Lorimer who is on the hunt for a killer who leaves their victims in St Mungo's Park. As part of the investigation the DCI is required to work with a psychologist from Glasgow University which he is less than pleased about. Initially it looks like a straight serial killer is on the loose but the killings are linked in a more complex manner.

Essentially the story is pretty standard stuff, no great surprises but enjoyable and well planned if you like crime fiction. The blurb about it being a threat to Inspector Rebus is a bit of a stretch but I was keen to read this author as she has written a number of books. I love finding new authors with a good back catalogue who are also still active and I am keen to read more of her work. The Glasgow connection was of interest for me too but I found it a bit odd as some key areas were fictionalised.

From a purely personal point of view this book represented a bit of a mystery to me. It is a signed copy and had obviously been read, however I have absolutely no memory of the story, meeting the author or buying it, so either I've been loaned it or picked it up secondhand or quite possibly I am going bonkers!

3 comments:

  1. You might have picked it up signed. Because she lives in Glasgow she occasionally pops into stores just to sign the stock (only if she is in the area, she a very unassuming lady from what I remember).

    I haven't read this one. I haven't read that much crime to be honest. I really should give it a go. It's always good to read something that doesn't require a lot of concentration, especially at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. I like a bit of crime fiction, I've been enjoying Stephen Booth as they're all set in the Peak District, in places I know, and they're really well written, often with a twist. I've seen this book club idea on several blogs and am thinking I might join in.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and I read every single one